Random Saturday Thoughts...

For some reason, in order to be a good blog post, I seem to feel like I need to have a lot to say, or it needs to be some life lesson, or it needs to be about something big we did, or it needs to have lots of pictures. Maybe that's because the few blogs that I follow regularly seem to have a lot of that stuff, and I feel somewhat inadequate if I don't follow suit. I mean, they have thousands of followers, lots of sponsors, and I love them, so shouldn't I strive to be that?

Truth is, they all started somewhere. I'm learning its more important to have regular content then for me to just wait around for some big thing to inspire me and make me write a novel. Let's face it, stuff like the big post about my trip to NYC may seem entertaining to me, but I wonder how many of the page views I currently have actually read through the whole thing? The truth is that I wrote it mainly for me...as a way to remember that life-changing experience. If someone else enjoyed reading about it - bonus!

I have to stop comparing myself to those bloggers that I love, and just be real. Be Nikki! I'm a random person. It's possible I have a little bit of ADD. So I just need to write like I think. And I need to blog like I think. So I want to do more of that. 

What I have also decided is that I spend way too much time in my own head. I spend so much time thinking about what I want, what I want to do, who I want to be...but then I don't actually DO anything. I think I'm afraid that the reality is not going to be as easy as the dream, but the things in life that are really worth while are never easy. Like being a parent, for example. I just need to put on my big girl pants and turn my thoughts and dreams into action and JUST DO IT!

I want to be a writer. I want to be a photographer. So I need to write more, I need to read more, and I need to work more on becoming a photographer -- not just shooting pictures. I need to stop planning so much and just do it.
_____
I have pretty much spent all of the morning sitting outside on the deck. It is by far my FAVORITE way to spend a morning! The breeze has been a bit cool and the beautiful blue sky has been replaced by a blanket of clouds, but there is no rain. Of this I'm thankful.

I've decided I want to read a lot more this summer, so I started that today by getting back to reading "The Happiness Project" and adding the novel "Can I Get An Amen" to the Kindle. While I've been enjoying the reading, I've also found myself easily distracted by my thoughts, my phone, and my kids. I decided to set my phone timer in five minute increments. In those five minutes I think of nothing but what I'm reading, I don't respond to text messages, and I resist the urge to check Instagram or Facebook. Its worked. 

Then I went inside to check on the kids, and what started as a way to fulfill a request from the youngest who wanted to see his freckles...



  ...turned into a mini living room photo session with Brendan.

"Mommy, take a picture of my feet!"

"Take a picture of my silly face!"
 

  Love his nose!

Comments

Popular Posts