Getting back to blogging

I know I've said this before, but this time I mean it. I need to, want to, and will get back to blogging. My life is so exciting, I'm sure that everyone wants to read about it!! Ok, maybe not, but I'm doing it anyway.

So what have I been doing with myself since I haven't had enough time to blog? Glad you asked! Starting in June, I began competing in a weight loss competition with the Kansas City Fitness Magazine. Myself and 11 others worked our butts off for nine weeks trying to lose as much weight as possible. For me, that meant two workouts a day -- one at 5:00 a.m and another after work or later in the evening. I worked out with my trainer Sherry Mack of StudioFit in KC North (near Liberty) twice a week and she usually kicked my butt. She also provided me with a meal plan which pretty much consisted of the same menu every day. Oatmeal for breakfast, cottage cheese for morning snack, chicken/fish/turkey and asparagus/green beans for lunch, a mid-day snack, and chicken/fish/turkey and asparagus/green beans for dinner. I would be lying if I said there weren't a few times that I "cheated" but I stuck to it more than I thought I would!

In the end, it was all worth it. In 9 weeks I lost 18.8 lbs. 12.8 of that came in the final four weeks during which I re-aggravated my sciatic nerve and pulled something in my arm (neither happening during an actual workout). Even with almost two weeks of very limited workouts, I still managed to lose the weight. I didn't win the competition -- that honor went to Chris Wilson who was a mad man during the whole challenge. But I did gain confidence, new friends, and of course, lost 18.8 lbs in the process. I'm now very anxious to see the upcoming issues of Kansas City Fitness Magazine, to see what they did with the professional photographs they took at our results party! Not sure when it comes out...I believe the first week of October. If you are interested, you can find the magazine and many retailers -- Barnes & Noble, Borders, Walmart, Price Chopper, and others...

While this challenge and my goal of weight loss consumed a large amount of my summer, it wasn't the only thing. In July, my family drove from KC to Hays, Kansas while my mom, brother and his family drove from Lincoln. We met up to take all the kids to see where my Great Grandparents' farm used to be. Several years ago -- maybe 20 years ago -- the farm was destroyed by a tornado, so obviously they didn't get see exactly what we experienced growing up, but my mom's uncle still lives in his place down the road, and his son has taken over the old property and has his trailer there, along with some new buildings. Pretty much the only thing standing from when I was growing up is the cow barn and the old chicken coop turned garage. Despite the literally 115 degree air temp, it was a great experience for the kids, and it was a lot of fun for my mom, brother and myself to relive some of those old memories and to see some family members we haven't seen in awhile.

Aside from that, there was a visit to the pool twice, some good times with friends, and hanging out with my kiddos. There was also a very exciting camping trip this last weekend, which I will save for another post.

While summer was great, I'm looking forward to Fall. I miss the smell and feel of it, even though it seems to turn into winter too quickly. This year I'm hoping to get the family more involved in fall festivities. I really want to take the kids apple picking for the very first time. I'm sure there will be a visit to a pumpkin patch somewhere in there, and this year I want to actually carve jack-o-lanterns. We will see about that part, though!

Comments

Popular Posts