A Little Home Decorating

We have lived in our house for about 7 1/2 years. When we bought it, I was so excited about being able to finally decorate my home as I wanted, after all of those years of living in my mom's house and then apartments. 

When we moved, I thought the first thing I would do is paint and decorate the baby's room. Even though she was already 9 months old, it was something I couldn't do in our previous living arrangement, so I was pumped!

But upon further inspection, the room she was going to be in was already decorated with blue and yellow paint and a Peter Rabbit border, so we decided to just leave it until it was time to upgrade to a more mature room.

When we moved in, the only room that wasn't white was the bathroom. It was lavender and not my favorite. Since I already didn't like it, and it was the smallest and probably easiest room to paint, it's the first room I tackled. And it was obvious I didn't have painting experience.  

After that, it was our bedroom. A dark green, and I still love it.

Following that, when I was pregnant with my son and knew my daughter was going to move to the spare room, I painted it light green with white trim. Then finally painted over the blue and yellow room with blue and darker blue.

The kitchen was next -- yellow to brighten it up.

The living room, hallway and entry way remain white. Not even a pretty white, but a dirty "I've been here forever" white. But the ceilings are vaulted and we'd have to hire someone to paint it, which will happen eventually. So for now, it is what it is. 

But something had to be done. I've had the same black and white frames hanging above the couch since we moved in, and the same black and white photos since my son was about 6 months. I've changed a couple of the photos in the frames on the wall occassionally, but its really looked the same for almost 7 years. 

That all changed last weekend. I've been longing to do something in there -- add color somehow (I've had the same orange curtains, brown couch and tan chair and ottoman since we moved in). So, for my birthday, my mom pitched in on a new bench/storage solution for the living room -- bright yellow, and I love it! 

[Picture to be added later, when I actually go home and take one.]
 
It is currently sitting by my chair, which probably wont be its finally resting place, but it still sticks out. I needed something yellow to put somewhere so it wasn't the only yellow in the room. I looked for throw pillows which I couldn't find (although I think I've found some online, I just need to pick), so then I started to look at something for the wall.

A trip to Hobby Lobby on Friday was all I needed. Three trips, two separate Hobby Lobbys, and about 18 hours later, I had purchased three pictures for my living room walls, an "EAT" sign for the kitchen, and the happiest additions to my kitchen shelf. 

First, the kitchen. For some reason, I have recently been drawn to the ideas of roosters in the kitchen. Well let me tell you, if you want roosters, you MUST go to Hobby Lobby. They have an entire FLOCK of roosters, but these three guys were the ones that crowed to me the loudest.

 
Meet Big Red, Penny, and Chickie (although I think Emily changed the name of the yellow one to something else but I can't remember)

 Then there is the picture I bought for the top of the stairs. I just love inspiring quotes, and I loved the color, and the birds. I know it's not yellow, which was the whole point of this, but it makes me happy and I decided that is more important then being all matchy-matchy.
Before and After
"Live Laugh Love"

Then there is the picture that is now displayed beside my window. I picked it because the moment I read it, it brought back memories of my Grandma singing that song all the time when we were kids. Once again, the colors may not go with anything, but it makes me happy and brings back wonderful memories.
Before and After
"i love you a bushel & a peck and a hug around the neck"

Then there is the granddaddy of them all, my big yellow flower, picture thing that I was unsure of at first, but now I just love!
Before
After
There is still much I want to do. Need new curtains, I want to create a frame/picture wall somewhere, with a bunch of the photographs I've taken the last couple of years, maybe a rug to cover some of the carpet...  I just wish I had a better eye for all of this stuff! Thank God for blogs and Pinterest!



Comments

  1. So when will we get to see the bench? Yellow IS a happy color, and so are the colors in the art you chose. Find pillows for the couch with both colors. (Although, I am a terrible decorator, so what do I know! lol)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts