Rest in Peace, Justin Reynolds

In January 2009, at just 30 years old, Justin Reynolds was diagnosed with cancer. After chemo, radiation, and surgeries, he went into remission, but two years later, the cancer had returned. Given two years to live, Justin refused to accept that as the final answer. He was accepted by the Mayo Clinic for a risky procedure that could prolong his life, and while there were multiple risks involved, Justin went through with the treatment. Unfortunately, 18 months later, after an inspiring, brave five year battle, Justin passed away very early this morning. He was just 36 years old.

I got to know Justin several years ago through my brother and sister-in-law. He was a co-worker, good friend and a member of their wedding party. I haven't seen him in several years, but have been following his journey for a while through his Caring Bridge Journal and on Facebook. He has been an inspiration to me in that time.

With everything he went through, all the pain, procedures, therapies, doctor’s visits, and every diagnosis, he maintained a positive, upbeat attitude, always smiling, living life to the fullest, even when the odds were against him.

I have seen many tributes to Justin recently, every one of them describing a man who was loved, loved others, made their lives so much richer, and lived life fully. I agree with them all.

What Justin has done for me is inspired me to keep fighting, never accept defeat, to always smile, to live every day with intention, to make sure those who are important to me know how much they are loved, and to remember that every single day we get to be on this earth is truly a gift.

I will honor him by remembering and doing all of those things.  

God definitely blessed us all with you, Justin!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts