Happy New Year -- Again!

Since the first week of 2010 wasn’t too great (family stomach flu, snow and cold, and a job offer not made), I decided to start it all over again on Sunday. I celebrated my New-New Years Eve with two glasses of wine, then celebrated Sunday by leaving the kids with the hubby and catching a movie – by myself.

I never would have thought I’d go to movies by myself. I don’t even like going to lunch by myself (just ask my co-workers) so a movie was just crazy talk. However, last year I decided that since (1) my husband and I don’t usually agree on movies, and (2) we don’t really have anyone to babysit for us, if I wanted to see a movie, I would just have to go by myself. The first time was sometime last year. First, I took the day off of work, took the kids to daycare, and came back home to “sleep in.” When I finally woke up sometime around noon, I got dressed, and went for lunch. On the menu was KFC’s grilled chicken! And the bonus – I had a coupon for a free meal. Score! Then I hit up Target for a little bit of shopping, but I don’t think I bought much if anything. Then I headed to AMC to see “My Sister’s Keeper” – and I had a gift certificate for a free movie courtesy of the law firm I work for (a gift for Secretary’s Day). Score again!

Of course, I cried like a baby during the movie. But what’s more important is that I walked out of there with a little sense of empowerment! Ok, maybe empowered is too strong, but at least I knew that I could do a movie by myself, and that was really exciting!

So back to Sunday night…my movie of choice was “The Blind Side,” a movie I’ve been wanting to see. Let me say I did not regret my decision. Usually, somewhere close to the end of a movie, I’m just kind of ready for it to be over. I’m just not a HUGE movie person. But this was so different. I didn’t want it to end. Sandra Bullock (who I love anyway) was AMAZING! Tim McGraw was also very good, even though he was in a limited role. Quinton Aaron, who plays Michael Oher, was also amazing. This movie left me completely inspired and motivated, and I can’t even really tell you what it was about it that accomplished that. All I know is I laughed a lot more than I cried in this movie, and I may even cheer for the Ravens to make the Super Bowl (even if they did beat the Patriots – sorry, honey).

I have many 2010 Goals (I’m trying not to call them “Resolutions”). One is to get to bed at a decent time, and wake up early enough to get everything done that I need to, and out the door by 7:10 at the latest. Sunday night I went to bed at 10:30, asleep around 11:00, up at 5:45, got dressed ready, kids up, dressed, and ready, out the door and on the road by approximately 7:20, and clocked into work at 8:04. Not on time, but early enough to make the 7 minute leeway we are given. Monday night – not quite as good at the going to bed thing. I was busy cutting material for the purse I’m trying to make, so I was actually getting ready for bed around 11:10 – 40 minutes after my “bedtime.” Instead of going straight to bed, I decided to read a chapter in a book I’ve had for five years. It’s been so long since I’ve sat and read, and I also decided this was going to be one of my 2010 Goals – to read more. I actually starting reading this book about five years ago, but then I think once I had my daughter I put it up. Not surprisingly, I can’t remember much about the book, so I have decided to read it from the beginning.

This morning was another good morning. I didn’t have to fight my daughter much on the whole getting dressed, brush your hair thing, so we were out the door in good time and I clocked into work at 8:02. Would have been early had traffic not been pretty backed up on the highway to work. But anyway, I’m happy with the way that Goal is panning out – but it has been only two days.

Another one of my goals is less internet play. MUCH less internet play. I’m addicted, I admit it. And it’s not like I do anything really important when I’m on. I find myself sitting there, lap top on lap (duh), going to Facebook, then my Gmail, then say…People.com, or USMagazine.com, or TMZ.com, then to Facebook (I have to see if anyone has updated their status in the last three minutes), then to CNN.com, then to Twitter, then back to Facebook, then to our local stations, then to PerezHilton.com, then to one of the many blogs or other fun websites I frequent, then to my Gmail again, then to Facebook, back to Twitter… Before I know it, its 10:30, I’ve accomplished nothing and plain wasted my entire evening. And it hits me even more when, at the end of the night I think back to my daughter coming up to me and saying “I wanna sit on your lap” and I remember telling her, “Not right now.” And every time I tell myself that the next time, I will put the computer down and hold her. But when the next time comes, I do the same thing. It’s the addiction, I tell you. But no more! Last night, after dinner, I jumped on the computer to check a couple of things, but then remembered how much of my evening I’m wasting by sitting there doing nothing. So I put the computer down, went into my room, grabbed the material and the pattern I bought over a year ago, and started cutting on the patterns pieces and the material to make my very first bag.

It’s going to be a mess – that’s one thing I can pretty much guarantee. I can tell that just by looking at the very uneven pattern pieces I cut. How in the world do you cut even pieces of folded over material? I got about half of the pieces cut before it was time to turn in, so tonight I hope to finish cutting. And if I actually get that thing sewn into something that resembles the bag in the picture, I will carry it with pride!!



I have so much I want to change or do in 2010. I want to be a better wife. I want to be a more patient mother. I want to be a cleaner person so I don’t spend so much of my free time cleaning up (although I do have a 4 year old and a 9 month old, so I suppose that goes with it). I want to spend more time learning and practicing things like sewing, paper craft, knitting, crocheting, baking/decorating, cooking… I want to spend LESS time on the internet and MORE time doing things that really matter to me and my family. I want to stop being late for everything, all the time.

And of course there is the standard lose weight, exercise more, eat better…and I really do want to and plan to do those things to. And also the yearly getting out of debt and STAYING out of debt thing. I’ll be working on that, too.

I’m pretty sure writing a two page blog entry might also constitute spending too much time on the internet, especially when I really should be working (although I’m waiting for my bosses to give me something) so I’ll end this now. But I will be back…

Comments

Popular Posts